Friday, November 26, 2010

Pumpkin Scones

I love scones!  I went many years without trying to make them though because just the name intimates me for some reason.  My mind sees a tedious process and a need of a bakery degree to make them come out looking beautiful and tasting wonderful.  I obviously did get over that fear and have made several recipes over the years always looking for the perfect recipe.  I was in the mood for a yummy scone and came upon this recipe: http://www.food.com/recipe/starbucks-pumpkin-scones-214051 and decided to give it a try this morning.  I read the reviews on this recipe....I recommend always reading the reviews, you can save yourself trouble a lot of times doing that, but this recipe continued to get rave reviews.  I did double the spices in the actual scone itself and they were WONDERFUL!  The appearance, perfect, the texture, wonderful and the flavor, absolutely delightful!

To me, pictures help so much and those of you who may just be starting on the baking path, I know it's helpful to know, "does this look right:", so I took pictures of each step to help you along.

I put all the dry ingredients in the food processor along with the very cold butter.
just pulse it until it looks all mixed, it doesn't take very long.  Don't over mix, you don't want it becoming clumpy.

I then mixed the wet ingredients together and whisked them together.


Fold in the wet ingredients with the dry ingredients until mixed.

Once it's mixed, turn it out onto a lightly floured surface and knead it very gently into a disk.

Now cut the pieces.  The recipe said 6 servings, I cut mine into 8 and believe me, one is a nice serving.


You're now ready to place the scones on a parchment lined baking sheet.  If you don't have parchment paper, you can grease the baking sheet instead.  I highly recommend parchment paper.  It helps them cook without sticking and makes clean-up a snap.


Put them into the oven to bake, while you are waiting on them to finish, go ahead and mix together the dry ingredients for the icing.  Now, the recipe shows a plain glaze first and then the spicy glaze.  It's up to you whether you want to do both or not.  I chose to just do the spicy glaze and it was the perfect blend of spicy and sweet to compliment the scone.


This is what the scones look like fresh out of the oven.


Now, add the milk to the dry icing ingredients and mix together and drizzle all over the warm scones.



So, this is what you should end up with, warm, yummy pumpkin scones.


Yay, another recipe that turned out well!

Happy Baking,

Bakingmomof4















No comments:

Post a Comment